Thursday 29 August 2024

This is Not a Review of "In Stars and Time"



Let us set the stage.

An entity known as The King has cast a horrible curse upon the land, freezing people in time. It’s up to the Chosen One and her friends to save the day. After a long journey, the party arrives at the final town right before the final battle with the final boss. He awaits the heroes at the final castle which was once the house of worship to Change Themselves.


image
image

You, the player, are the second to last party member (who joined right before the cute mascot character) and you find yourself “blessed” with the symbolically relevant ability to loop in time - which you discovered after being suddenly crushed to death by a big rock with a sense for dramatic irony.
Now, admittedly, the prospect of dealing with Groundhog Day related shenanigans might seem daunting, at first. Dare I say, it might even be emotionally and psychologically taxing, in the long run. However, do not panic! A volunteering social worker has already been sent to “assist” you with your predicament. You can trust them completely.

image
image
image

Now that we have dispensed with the formalities, let’s get down to business to defeat The King. Use your newfound powers to help your friends navigate the castle, climb the floors, overcome the obstacles. Be ready to repeat all that several more times. You know the drill. Perhaps, if you do everything right, your buff boyfriend will finally confess his feelings to you.

Is it gay to look at your buff, trans masc party tank in the eyes as he whispers secrets to you while sharing a bed together before he gets murdered by a pillow?ALT

Wouldn’t that be swell?


Wouldn’t it?


It would be nice.


It sure would.



There will be no additional plot synopsis, at this time.

image
image

As I type these few words of appetizing anticipation, I find myself in a predicament of my ownI played In Stars and Time and now I have to talk about it.
I have many emotions swirling, dancing incoherently within the very fabric of my being. Feelings that I must convey to you before The Moment passes, you see. I’m not sure I can, though. I’m not sure I can steel my trembling hands for long enough to wax poetically about this being, without hyperbole, one of the best games I played in the past decade. A masterpiece with many juicy layers waiting to be peeled back, one by one. I don’t have the energy to write the monstrous essay it deserves for all I want to do is sit in a corner and weep quietly for a few hours, trying to process it all. I’m sad not because it’s over but because I can’t experience it for the first time ever again. Which is an ironic statement considering the nature of this game, I realize.
Allow me to try this again.

Let us set the stage.


In Stars and Time is is a cleverly designed title. The time loop structure works both as a gameplay and thematic device, a means to (purposefully) emphasize the monotonous nature of the RPG grind in relation to the protagonist’s deteriorating state, cycle after cycle, play after play. You have your classic meta-textual musings about video games as well as a legitimately gripping tale filled with many twists and turns, good use of symbolism, salient points to make about Trauma and its effect on one’s memory, the Fear of Change versus the necessity of it, and Depression. It all comes together by the end in a subjectively satisfying manner and…



And…



…I have to stop myself.

I’m reducing this deeply personal experience to a mere “review” and that’s not what I’m here to do.

I don’t know what I’m here to do.

Frankly, there are themes in this game I am not equipped to discuss, such as its intensely felt (and horrifyingly topical) commentary about Diaspora, the shared trauma of cultural displacement, a people fading away from memory like stars in the sky. That kind of analysis would be too much for a simple “review.” if this were to be one, I would praise the game for being the best possible version of itself, the best version of a Time Loop story. One that perfectly applies the narrative tropes of the genre to its gameplay, plot, all that jazz.
I would also state that it didn’t reinvent the wheel of “Indie Gaming” and I could feel inclined to make obligatory comparisons to That One Game because that’s the unfair standard by which everything MUST abide!
No, I shall not do that.
I need to rethink my approach. I am going to take a small break. In the meantime, please enjoy these unrelated GIF files of Christopher Lloyd from Toonstruck that I have lying around on the floor.

image
image
image
image

I had dinner with the family. It was a small, daily reminder that I am loved unconditionally. That I deserve it. Something that is immensely easy to forget. The meal was tastier than usual.



Back to it.

image

This is the brutally simple truth of the matter: there is a lot to love about In Stars and Time, with its writing, design choices, characters, nuances, big feelings. It has the potential to be a massive crowd pleaser and it would be well-deserved. It’s got explicitly gay lore, as well!

In case I didn’t make it abundantly clear, this game is 100% queer. Every aspect of it, from the characters and the world they inhabit to the culture and its history, is built from the ground up as a queer utopia.
You might recall, all the way to the first paragraph of this long-winded, amorphous ramble, I mentioned something about Change with a capital C. That is because the very concept of Change has been deified, becoming the base of a whole religion: an extremely inclusive, open-minded, progressive community that celebrates life in all its multi-faceted forms. A significant portion of its foundation is the magical technique of “Body Craft” which allows the user to literally transform their physical appearance into their preferred shape, one that better reflects who they are. Children are given many names, both male and female, for the purpose of facilitating their own change, should it occur. Literal and figurative transience lies at the heart of this belief system, meaning that about half the population is trans/non-binary, and queerness is normalcy. As a side note, I want to live in this world.
Change is viewed as positive, in other words. In light of that, the arrival of a hostile entity with the power to simply stop all of existence from ever progressing by freezing everyone in place might seem like an easy metaphor to read.
I assure you, the game is eager for you to make that assumption.

image

As I mentioned earlier, this story tackles Depression and it doesn’t pull its punches when it comes to portray the more “inconvenient” aspects of living with crippling self-esteem issues. That’s when the game became a masterpiece to me. I resonated with Siffrin (He/They), the protagonist.
That’s you!

Narrator: "Everything was, in fact, not fine."ALT

Their struggle to navigate the constant torment of the loop is paralleled with their increasing mental and emotional instability. Intrusive thoughts overpowering their head, saying he will never be loved, that he’s toxic and manipulative. There’s the all too familiar frustration of not being understood by others despite not having tried to explain how you really feel to them, trapped as you are in your own head. Big issues are equated to “small” issues. I relate with most of this.
Through the Time Loop allegory, In Stars and Time captures the Kafkian Horror of existing as a neurodivergent person who gets in the way of their own happiness. It’s isolating, drives a barrier between your loved ones, makes you lose touch with reality. Sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days. Everything eventually blends together in a sickening routine until you either drown or you start swimming furiously.

Then the cycle repeats.


It’s too much.


You cannot do it alone.


You are not alone.


Let them in.



Let yourself be loved.


That is, in essence, the reason why I think so highly of this title. I related with the story and characters. Yes, it all comes down to the most obvious thesis statement in the universe. Yes, I probably didn’t need to write so much about it but, regardless, I’m glad I did.
I poured my feelings towards an Object D'Art onto figurative paper as I was processing them, doing away with any pseudo-intellectual vernacular in order to get to the soul of the matter. I expressed my emotions and I feel better for having done so. Now, I can move on.
All that is left to do is to recommend the game.




Go play In Stars and Time, I recommend it. It’s good.






That’s about it.









You’re still here.









……


…………..


Go away, stupid!

image

A/N:

Thank you for reading this rather personal piece. The article was extrapolated from a thread I wrote down on the subject. You can read that here. I also typed about the official prologue to the game, Start Again, which you can view here.

As a reminder, I have a YouTube channel. 
In Stars and Time was developed by Adrienne Bazir. Follow them on TwitterTumblr and Itch.io.

Tell the people in your life how much they mean to you, and have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment